Your Weekly Reader

Friday, May 28, 2004

Cows on Parade

I hope you have/had a good Memorial Day weekend. Traditionally, I would be heading out to Indiana today to spend the weekend at the lake, but events of the past year have put the kibosh on that plan of action. Hi girls! So now I'm not sure what's up.

This weekend, Chicago hosts the IML festivities, otherwise known as I'm In Hell. For those of you not in the city or not in the know, IML is International Mr. Leather, an annual beauty pageant in which nancy boys dress like bikers and cowboys for fun and prizes. I've written about it before; I'll find the old article and post it on the johnbliss.com site for your edification. The event itself is complemented by a host of activities, both official and un, with such names as Bears in Leather, Masters And slaves (sic) Together, and the Scorched Earth Party. There's even Leather Recovery, "a 24-hour Safe Space for those in recovery to take advantage of as a refuge from becoming overwhelmed or triggered by people & surroundings." Needless to say, the place abounds in tanned hides, both animal and human. This may be the only time of the year you can wear a hat, vest and boots - and nothing more - and be considered well-dressed. IML always takes place over Memorial Day Weekend, in honor, I suppose, of the cows who have given their lives for the cause.

The only part of IML I ever attend is the Leather Market, which is a sort of swap meet cum flea market cum Tupperware party for those interested in fetish gear. It's creepy, but fascinating, and the only place in town you can buy his 'n hers chaps, hand carved paddles and paint-on latex all in one spot. Since I won't be in Indiana, you may be able to catch me down there one day.

I also plan to see The Day After Tomorrow, maybe on Saturday. This was more amusing Thursday, when I could say I was seeing The Day After Tomorrow the day after tomorrow. What can I say, I'm mad for summer flicks. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home