Your Weekly Reader

Friday, June 11, 2004

About the Weekend

If you try to reach me this weekend, you will be unlikely to succeed. Not only is Sunday the season finale of Deadwood and the season opener of Six Feet Under, but I just received the first season of SCTV on DVD. I'm hoping for the eventual release of subsequent seasons, but after my experience with Mary Tyler Moore and Larry Sanders, both of which saw only their first seasons released on DVD, I'm not holding my breath.

Lest you think I'll be doing nothing but watching TV all weekend, this is also Midsommarfest in Andersonville, where I live. (In contrast to the Civil War era prisoner of war camp in Georgia.) Those of you with calendars may find June 12 a bit early for midsummer, but the name traditionally refers to the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. And yes, June 12 is a bit early for celebrating the summer solstice as well, but Chicago is packed with summer festivals, so you take what you can get. I have a special place in my heart for Midsommarfest, not only because it takes place two blocks from my home, and not only because it is one of the first festivals of summer, but because of my son in Sweden. And of course, the blue and gold margaritas. This week was uncomfortably warm here in Chicago (high 80s, hot for June) and now it's pouring rain, so we'll see how the weekend shakes out. I'm supposed to meet a friend at the accordion concert on Sunday. It's that kind of festival.

I'd like to offer a shout out to my brother, who has proved that he has a bigger heart than any of us, and has demonstrated the benefit of keeping in shape.

Thanks also to the friend who sent me the book, How to Good-bye Depression: If you constrict anus 100 times everyday. This may help solve two problems at once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home