Your Weekly Reader

Thursday, September 22, 2005

I Love New York

If you know me at all, you know that’s not true. But I got am email this week from a friend who truly does love New York. He was pursuing a job in Milwaukee, of all places, which he did not get. Disappointed as he was to not get the job, he was happy – one might say thrilled (“I am sooooooooo glad”) – to not have to leave the city he loves.

I know a number of people who live in New York, and they talk every now and then about leaving it, but I know they’re lying. And not just because, as my friend Jim observed, that when you live in New York you feel like you’re in line, and you don’t want to get out of line. It’s because they’re addicted to it. Not “Bright Lights, Big City” addicted, more “Sex and the City” addicted. Their relationship with New York is their primary relationship, and they wouldn’t have it any other way.

And they’re not the only ones. A lot of us feel that way about the places we live. We’ve gotten to know each other over the years, and we’ve developed an emotional connection. Truth be told, the city doesn’t care: he would drop us in a minute and not even notice we were gone. If ships and cars and maybe even computers are girlfriends, cities are boyfriends. Cold hearted assholes, but sexy as hell.

I like Chicago because he's smart and serious, but even after all these years, he can still make me laugh. His moods run hot and cold, but it’s nothing personal. Sometimes, he’ll surprise you by how beautiful he is. He gives you your space, and doesn't always need to know what you're doing. Above all, he's reliable and sensible, and knows the value of a buck.

New York always has something new up his sleeve, even though there are parts of him you know you can always count on. He's terribly vain, which can make you feel neglected, but when he shows you he loves you, you're on top of the world. He has a lot of money, and he can make you feel like you do too, even when you don't.

I don't know LA that well, but I recognize that glamorous people can be intoxicating. He can be very charming, and he has really interesting friends. He has a lot of crazy ideas, but he has enough enthusiasm to make you believe in them, and sometimes he actually follows through. He's like a kid, always on to the next new toy, but he’s happy to let you play.

New Orleans is the boyfriend your parents don’t approve of. He indulges all your worst habits, and doesn't make you feel bad about it. He’s trouble, but he doesn’t hurt anyone but himself. He’s into the harmless Deadly Sins -- lust, gluttony, sloth, maybe pride -- rather than the harmful ones -- greed, anger, envy. I don’t trust him, but I hope he gets well soon.

By the way, my prediction? Mardi Gras 2006 – huge. Yuge. It seems impossible that the city will be ready in 5 months, and I’m sure much of it will still be uninhabitable. But somehow or other, people are going to party. Sodom will rise again!

Sowanyway. I’m sure plenty of you are in dysfunctional relationships with your own city. Let me know what that’s all about. Feel free to add to or correct statements I’ve made about your town. Let me hear about your love/hate relationship with San Francisco or Santa Fe or Las Vegas. Or Oil City or Coralville. I’ll publish the results in an upcoming edition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home